Title: Membership & Outreach Director
Department: Fundraising & Outreach
Employment Level: Full-Time
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Mountain Area Preservation (MAP) mission is to preserve the Truckee-Tahoe region’s mountain character and natural environment for present and future generations.
Mountain Area Preservation seeks to hire a non-profit or business professional to fulfill the position of Membership & Outreach Director. This is an exciting opportunity to make a significant impact on the future of conservation in the Truckee-Tahoe region, by working directly with MAP members, the community and visitors to engage and educate the public on MAP’s membership program as well as regional land use advocacy efforts benefiting the conservation and environmental sector of the Truckee-Tahoe region.
Job Purpose: The Membership and Outreach Director is responsible for managing MAP’s current membership program for individuals and businesses, writing membership appeals for direct mail, implementing and executing a communication and engagement plan for membership, coordinating outreach events for membership and priority campaigns, planning the annual membership meeting, as well as supporting the planning and execution of fundraising events and beneficiary events for MAP. Finally, the Membership & Outreach Director will work collaboratively with staff, board members and volunteers to focus on strategic priorities and advance MAP’s mission and goals for the Truckee-Tahoe region.
- Plan, implement and analyze MAP’s membership program for individuals and businesses.
- Implement strategies to grow MAP’s membership program.
- Create and implement a plan to re-engage past MAP members and donors.
- Write direct mail appeals for membership and the end-of-year fundraising campaign.
- In cooperation with the Executive Director, board and staff, build strong, long-term, effective relationships with MAP members, businesses and regional stakeholders.
- Plan and oversee donor outreach efforts and tracking systems for pledges, gifts, as well as donor acknowledgment and recognition programs.
- Oversee the design, content, production, and use of membership and fundraising materials.
- Coordinate the preparation and production of promotional, communication, and marketing materials (e.g., annual report, appeal letters, brochures).
- Coordinate public outreach activities, including public relations, public speaking, promotions and special events (e.g., membership, outreach and priority campaign events)
- Coordinate fundraising events in collaboration with the Executive Director, Development Associate, Board and Stewardship Committee. Fundraising events include; the Sierra Forage Dinner, a high-end gala with an auction, sponsorship, pledge and a matching donation program, the Wild & Scenic Film Festival, a multi-day event with films, a raffle and children’s events for Earth Day. Additional fundraising events include beneficiary events with business partners and fundraisers for our Save Tahoe campaign throughout the year.
- Strong commitment to environmental advocacy work, stewardship, conservation and, in particular, the mission, goals and values of MAP. Ability to translate this commitment into an exciting vision when communicating with donors and staff.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or non-profit or business-related experience.
- Master’s degree, fundraising certification, and/or equivalent experience preferred, but not required.
- Proven ability to motivate donors and energetically engage individual donors.
- Demonstrated experience using exceptional interpersonal skills, including effective listening, diplomacy and tact, to build strong, long-term, progressive relationships with a wide range of people.
- Experience in creating, executing and managing fundraising campaigns.
- Demonstrated leadership and the ability to successfully manage multi-faceted areas of fundraising, outreach and communication programs.
- Excellence in written and oral communication skills for successful membership and public communications.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite software and fundraising/donor database programs.
- Experience with design programs such as Adobe Illustrator and InDesign preferred, but not required.
- Experience with budgeting, program planning, proposal development and other general administrative tasks.
- Function in a team-oriented environment and work independently as required.
- Creative, results-oriented, self-starting, outgoing, willing to learn, can handle and prioritize multiple activities and responsibilities, working beyond the 9-5 as needed for special events and outreach.
Please send a cover letter, resume and writing example to Alexis Ollar, Mountain Area Preservation Executive Director at Alexis@mapf.org . A membership appeal or fundraising letter is preferred for the writing sample. The application period for the position will close on February 7th, 2020.